logotipo calidad iberland pescado

Rome Club Report and Stockholm Declaration

marco teórico 1982

Convention on the Rights of the Sea (CNUDM)

marco teórico 1987 Iberland

Sustainable Development (Brundland Report)
IBERLAND Group Foundation

marco teórico 1992 iberland

Earth Summit (UN) (Program 21)

marco teórico 1994 iberland

Creation of a Marine Protected Area (IUCN)

marco teórico 1995 iberland

Responsible Fisheries Code of Conduct (FAO)

marco teórico 1996 iberland

Quota Management and TAC (Total Allowable Catches)

marco teórico natura 2020 iberland

Creation of Natura 2000 Network.
Definition of species and spaces

marco teórico 2015 iberland

O.D.S nº14 Oceans and Sea Resources (UN)

marco teórico 2019

Discard reduction.
Minimum space allowed (EU)


The Club of Rome publishes “The limits of growth.” This report shows that if current growth rates were sustained or increased, the planet’s own natural limits would be reached. Factors such as the exploitation of natural resources and food production (among others) were part of this ecological footprint forecast. The report set out to change development rates to move towards ecological and sustainable stability (Eco development) (1).

The repercussions of the “Limits on Growth” led the United Nations to hold the Earth Summit that same year. It was the first world summit held on environmental issues. The 113 participating countries agreed on the Stockholm Declaration, a common framework for action by all peoples of the world.

1987. Brundtland Report. It raises sustainable development for the first time. It defines sustainability as meeting the needs of the present, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own.


FAO 1996.
Cumbre Mundial Sobre la Alimentación

At present, there is little progress in the field of sustainability and sustainable development. It is also evident in the fisheries and marine resources sector. According to the FAO, future forecasts on the availability of fishery resources do not predict a promising future. Annual waste is estimated at around 35% between catches and arrival at port. Of the remaining 65%, another 27% is wasted between arrival at port and consumption (2). By-products of the fishing industry can account for up to 75% of catches depending on subsequent processes of sorting or industrial preparation (3). That is why Iberland Group believes it is essential to contribute to the sustainability of the sector through its use.

It is important to emphasize that in the imminent future it will be necessary to develop and increase the transfer of technology from research centres to industries, greater creativity in the development of new products, and most importantly, encourage collaboration between the agents involved in valorisation: fishermen, fishing industries and processing industries (food, cosmetics …) (4).

This promotion and awareness of the sector would have a broad trajectory in the exploitation industry, thus contributing to the reduction of catches and the regeneration of marine populations.

We understand the use as the subsequent steps from the capture itself, involving its transformation and contributing to an increase in the ratio between initial “weight” of the fish, processed weight and weight of the product used.
This tracking of process losses is colloquially defined as discards, by-product, surplus, among others.

Iberland Group considers that the KG of used product is, today, the key to the sustainability of the marine ecosystem, the fishing industry and responsible consumption by society.

ODS Iberland : Objetivos de desarrollo sostenible

One of our pillars as a company is to create a sustainable environment and that is why we set strict guidelines to do so. Companies have a very important role in this goal (Sustainable development goals – SDG): encouraging industrial processes that do not impact the environment, incorporating companies as business partners in their value chain, encouraging the expansion of sustainable and resilient infrastructures.

logotipo Iberland Fish solutions
logotipo calidad iberland pescado